Clickety click!

6/17/2009 01:27:00 pm BenefitScroungingScum 2 Comments

A letter from the dental hospital has stirred my sluggish memory enough to remember I meant to write this post, erm ages ago!

I'm very lucky to have excellent teeth, unlike many with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, the odd bit of crumbling and gum recession are the most significant problems I have.

Gum recession or erosion is a very common problem in the general population, and often caused by overbrushing. For those of us with EDS the problems we have with proprioception can exacerbate the issue as we struggle to control our grip strength and ability to know how much pressure we're applying. It's especially important not to overbrush if your gums are already more fragile than normal.

I have a passion for cheap, pound style shops, so I was delighted to find toothbrushes designed to stop overbrushing in my local branch*. They are really aimed at children or teenagers, but I can vouch for their efficacy for adults. The nature of the brush means you can't use too much pressure because the brush clicks backwards making you aware you need to be more gentle to keep it in it's intended shape.

The toothbrush is the Wisdom Click toothbrush. It's an incredibly simple idea, but one of the best adaptive devices I've tried. Online it seems to retail for £2+ but I paid 49p each for mine. They're so good I've bought a stash of them...never let it be said Bendy Girl doesn't know how to live a glamorous lifestyle!

* Home Bargains. For anyone really desperate to know. Not that I can imagine why anyone would be!

2 comments:

Fire Byrd said...

So my brother in law is now working at the Dental hosp,and you never know you might just get to meet him.
xx

steph said...

Woo! Hoo! Go, glamour Girl!

I got lucky with my teeth too. It's good to have something that works normally, isn't it? Eyes and ears ain't half bad too but you can forget the rest!